Switch to full style
Nynorn in general, Shetland Mainland and Foula&Westside Nynorn
Post a reply

Scots influence

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Quote:
Our task is only to get rid of some superficial influences that Norn experienced from Scots
I think I don't really understand the problem. It's said in the website, that for exemple forms -andi and -ing will be used instead of -in. But do these forms occur in norn corpus ? If not, and even if they are from a scots influence, why not to conserve them in Nynorn ?

I wander two options. 1. some forms of norn language use -andi and -ing. But that's not said on the page "introduction". Therefore, it's not evident. 2. The aim is to construct a language as near as possible to modern scandinavian languages.

Which of these options is right ? The first ?

Re: Scots influence

Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Lundtrollinn wrote:
It's said in the website, that for exemple forms -andi and -ing will be used instead of -in. But do these forms occur in norn corpus ? If not, and even if they are from a scots influence, why not to conserve them in Nynorn ?
Yes, they do occasionally occur in the Norn corpus:

drillandi:
http://nornlanguage.x10.mx/index.php?shet_gram#e5
klovandi:
http://www.shetlanddialect.org.uk/historical
(this text will be placed on our webpage soon)

The words in -ing are preserved in the ballad of Hildina (eulingin < ǫðlingrinn, Drotnign < drottningrinn, and there's certainly a few more examples in Jakobsen's dictionary I can't show now).
Quote:
I wander two options. 1. some forms of norn language use -andi and -ing. But that's not said on the page "introduction". Therefore, it's not evident. 2. The aim is to construct a language as near as possible to modern scandinavian languages.

Which of these options is right ? The first ?
I decided to go for an archaic version of Nynorn, close to the language of the ballad of Hildina and the Lord's Prayer. In the beginning I tried different variants, including more "modern" and more "Scottified", but when the overall picture started taking shape, I decided to do what I've done, mostly because I wanted to have a system in the grammar and that was the only way it seemed to work.
Post a reply