NORN KJOKL

The Orkney & Shetland Norn Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thorbjorn wrote:
Welcome Sudmann. I drop in here every so often as I am not a linguist but am trying the lessons on Norn. and then translating them into Runic text for a project I am working on.
Runic Nynorn.. that's really cool! Very Happy We could do a hardcore version of Nynorn in runes Wink

However, on a more serious note, the runic alphabet doesn't suit modern languages incl. Nynorn quite well, because some of the sounds are different. If you want to learn more about it I suggest that you create a separate thread to discuss how to adapt runes for Nynorn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:29 pm 

But runic alphabet wasn't really adapted for old norse either. In younger futhark, you have only b, t, k, but not p, d and g... for exemple. And about vowels it was pretty harder too. Is'nt it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you're quite right. The 6th-9th centuries revolutioned the phonology of Common Scandinavian giving birth to Old Norse and making the elder futhark barely useful as a phonologically oriented alphabet. The younger futhark was a compromising solution, but far from being ideal. The Latin alphabet suited the new language much better (even though it borrowed one runic sign), because it was more flexible and admitted diacritics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:49 am 

Well, the runic alfabet was expanded after the middle ages, so it could keep up with the latin alfabet. That was basiacly done by adding dots to the runes, a trend which already began in the late viking age.

This is the danish examples:
http://www.arild-hauge.com/druner.htm (see the one fro 1300. Norway and Sweden had a similar alfabet)

in Dalarna in Sweden, they used runes up to the 20th century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalecarlian_runes