[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
NORN KJOKL • View topic - Kråka's word laboratory

NORN KJOKL

The Orkney & Shetland Norn Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, interesting additions to our dictionary!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:18 am 

While it'd be possible to say: "Magnus varð moldaður í gjár.", I have never heard it. We pretty much only use 'jarðaður'.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:45 pm 

Hey,

Good to have a Faroese-speaker's opinion. Should we just keep "innmølda" as a side-form?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:02 pm 

Hey alla saman!

Here are a few more Orkney Nynorn word suggestions. Do tell me what you think :)

Brysk n [brisk] cartillage, gristle
Shetland form given by Jacobsen : brøsk
The word is given by Marwick in the form "brisk", but thought it would be more logical to spell it with a y instead of a i as the ON word is brjósk.

utval n [u'tval] 1. refuse, rejects, leavings 2. choice, selection
1. Scots outwale (rejects, refuse, leavings). Recorded form in Orkney ootwaal (with [ɑ:] instead of [e] in Mainland Scots).
2. In Caithness and Shetland, ootwill also means to select, pick out.

utgang m [utgjɑŋ, utgjoŋ] 1. outgoing, departure 2. end, conclusion 3. exit, way out(?)
1. Scots outgang (outgoing, departure) / ON útgangr m, útganga f a going out (from a house)
2. In Orcadian, ootgang is used in combination with years, months and seasons i.e. the ootgang o' Vore: the end of Spring (Nynorn : vårsutgang?).
3. Icelandic, Faroese útgangur, Norwegian "utgang", "exit, way out"

kvyl m [kʋil] small boat
The Orcadian form of this word is quill, but forms whullo and whull [ʍɪl(o)] do exist. According to Marwick the term may be a descendant of ON kjóll m "ship, barge".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:45 pm 

Well, to me, 'at mølda inn' sounds weird. But sure, I guess it could work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:37 am 

Hi everyone!

Here's another Orkney word I'd like to know your opinion about. I'm not sure about the etymology so I was thinking maybe you guys could help me with it!

I found the word in Marwick dictionary in this form : barsgerd. It's an adjective that means "begrimed" or "filthy". The word looks quite Nordic but Marwick did not seem to find its etymology.

I did a quick research in Cleasby and Vigfusson's dictionary of Old Norse and I found these interesting entries :

bjagaðr, part. wry, deformed, cp. bagr. bjag-leitr, adj. ugly, deformed.

bagr, adj. [cp. bágr], awkward, clumsy, clownish, opp. to hagr, q. v.,

so I was thinking maybe the original form was *bagr(s?)-gerðr?

I'm really not sure so please tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 pm 

Yup, I noticed the -r ending problem too, the form is so puzzling.

the *barðgerði hypothesis seems a bit strange to me, are there other instances of nouns becoming adjectives in Norn?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:11 pm 

Hi everyone

Been a while since I last posted here but the recent increase of activity on the forum has given the motivation I needed to dedicate some time to a new entry in my lab!

Today's word is villyero (Sanday), recorded in Rousay in the form vildro (Marwick) and meaning "confusion, destruction in both islands with an additional sense specific to Sanday : "A being lost or scattered". The aim of this entry is to give the word a simpler, "updated" definition and introduce archetypal phrases for learners of Nynorn to use. I built these archetypes with pan-scandinavian usages as a foundation, as well as examples from both Orkney and Shetland. I will stick to the Sanday form villyero (villeråð) which is closer to other scandinavian forms, but you may choose to replace it with vildro (vild(e)råð) if you like.

Villeråð is a compound word formed from the adjective *ville 'wild' (ON villi-) and the neutral noun *råð (ON ráð). In Orkney, ON ráð is found in several contexts : Marwick gives us the legal term roth which he says is found in charters of the fifteenth and sixteenth century and applied to udal rights and property. Here the word seems to be used in the sense of 'control', 'management', 'household affairs' (Cleasby/Vigfússon). It can't the sense of ráð in villeråð, unless villyero primarily meant 'loss of control' > 'confusion'. Gregor Lamb gives the Norn word gouraye/garoye in his Orkney Wordbook and gives it the meaning 'heyday', from ON góðræði (good counsel). In gouraye and villyero, ráð seems to be understood as 'state', 'condition', like in Old Norse ('state of life, condition). Villeråð would then translate as 'state of bewilderment' (cf ON villiráða adj indecl. 'bewildered, confused'), and gouraye (guðreði/guðråði?) as 'good state of life' > 'heyday'.

The word is also found in the other Scandinavian languages in different forms. In Swedish and Norwegian the form is villråd 'confusion', 'bewilderment', 'perplexity'. Adjectival forms also exist : Danish has vildrådig, related to other forms rådvild, tvivlrådig og vildråden, Swedish and Norwegian villrådig. The word villråd (and it's variants vildrede, villrede and villreie) is used in the idiom "i villråd" meaning 'uncertain', 'confused' , literally 'in a state of confusion".

A similar formation is/was also found in Orkney : "Hid’s a' gaan tae vildro." As well as an adverbial form "avildroo" (< í villiráð). The sense of these two forms is 'in(to) confusion/chaos'. The additional meaning of the Sanday form villyero 'being lost or scattered' comes very close to the Scandinavian use of villråd and an *i villeråð would mean 'in a lost state', 'in(to) a state of confusion' > 'confused, perplexe'.

In Shetland, the form is villarø ['vıljərø, 'vıljəru] and the meaning is slightly different from the rest of Scandinavian : 'foolish talk', 'nonsense'. You can see it in the following Shetlandic sentence : "I mind fine da villyaroo dere wis aboot it at da time." (G. Temple in Britta) Jakobsen seems to be uncertain about the second element of this word.

I also found two instances of an Icelandic villiráð, here is one of them : "Þetta vín er gott með villiráð af ýmsu tagi, t. d. hreindýrakjöti, villigæs og villibráðarpaté..." = a (disorderly) mix? cf Swedish : här är ett villråd av kultur, material och stilar..." (could native Scandinavians confirm that theory? )

VILLERÅÐ, VILDRÅÐ [vıljəro, vıldro] confusion, perplexity, lost state; confusion, chaos.

IDIOMS

- i villeråð (við/um) 1. uncertain/confused (about)
Eg stuð i villeråð um hvat eg så. I was confused by what I was seeing.

2. (i/til villeråð) in(to) chaos, confusion
Nu ligger alt i vildråð/villeråð. It's all a mess now.

- leiða i villeråð to confuse
Tað er ikke gott at leiða folk i villeråð. It's not good to confuse people.

We're done here for now but do give your suggestions, opinions, criticisms, questions etc. :)