[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
NORN KJOKL • View topic - Kråka's word laboratory

NORN KJOKL

The Orkney & Shetland Norn Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:47 am 

Send me the C-words list via mp or e-mail if you still have it. I'll gladly help you.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:23 pm 

Hi Kråka
I sent you the C word file and other files related to the English-Nynorn dictionary project, via your Email.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:23 pm 

Hei alla saman!

I have not been so active on the forum lately, as I've been quite busy for the past three months. But I have not stopped working on Orkney norn. So here a new entry! The word I chose to share in my word lab today is "to bury". It was so not easy to retrace the Scandinavian word in the Orcadian dialect of Scots, but I did find something quite interesting in Gregor Lamb's dictionary of Orcadian. The answer lay in the word meuld, meaning earth, or mould, in Scots, but also "the earth of a graveyard" in some regions of Scotland, Orkney included. Also, notice the Scots phrase in muld, meaning "in the grave". In Faroese, undir moldum seems to have the meaning "in the grave". In Norwegian also, the phrase kome under molda means "to be buried". Gregor Lamb, in his dictionary of the Orcadian dialect, gives in-malded, "buried", where "malded" is a past participle used as an adjective with the adverbial particle "in" preffixed. In Faroese and Icelandic, moldaður means buried.

MØLDA (INN) : to bury

Nynorn : Magnus var (inn)møldað i går.
English : Magnus was buried yesterday.
ON, Ice., Faer. : Magnus var moldaður í gjár. (not so sure about this one)

So, yeah, there you go! Not so mindblowing but I'm on holiday and I didn't bring my notes with me. It was the only word I could think of... What do you think? :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

You've got a point there, thank you! We'll count this word in.
Shetland has møld, møldo, mild (Yell) - to smooth the mould after the sowing of the seed < to cover with mould. The sense of burying obviously came from the meaning "to cover the grave with mould".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:58 pm 

I need to know if we should also include the other proposed words for bury and buried. This is my proposed entries for bury and buried.
bury
to bury grava vs.
to bury jarda, jerda vw. ( ON jarða)
to bury (inn)møld or imald? v w or s ?

buried
buried imalded v. (Orkney word book Lamb)
buried begravd adj.. (Swed. begravd Norw. begravet)
buried (inn)møldað Kraka's suggestion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:47 pm 

Hei!

I think jarda/jarða should be kept yeah. I don't know about grava, we could use this one for "to dig" as we don't really need three different words to signify one thing (my opinion).

in-malded is Orcadian Scots. It was most likely derived from a norn word, but it is given by Lamb in its scotticised form. innmøldað must have been its original form. the supine for mølda is møldað >> weak verb.

As for begravd/begravet, the be- preffix suggests a German loan-words, and German affected but little insular Scandinavian languages. So I don't think we should keep this one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

I suggest that we use (inn)mølda as the Orcadian version of Shetlandic jarda when it comes to burial ceremonies.
At the same time grava should be kept as their (partial) synonym and as the neutral word for digging in general. What does everyone think?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:08 pm 

Sounds good ;) I'm working on more Orkney Nynorn material. Will be posting more of it asap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:58 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:52 pm 

Hi everybody!

I haven't been able to post as much as I wished lately due to my not having a proper Internet access at my place. The problem is (partly solved) though, so here I am with new Orkney words to share. Some of the Orkney words in this post may be re-used in Shetland Nynorn and will be marked with a "#".

Hvilikrøar, hwilikrøar f pl [ˈʍilikrøa(r), ˈvilikrøa(r), ˈʋilikrøa(r)]
a churchyard, cemetery.
Given by Edm. as wheeliecreuse in the sense "churchyard".
From ON hvíla "to rest" and kró "pen, enclosure". Literally "resting pens/enclosures".
Noteworthy : In Scandinavian languages hvíla and its descendants are used on headstones, like "Here lies Peter" in English". Icelandic Hér hvílir Pétur, Norwegian Her hviler/kvilar Peter, Nynorn *Her hviler/hvilar Peter? Also, in Norwegian, den evige hvile means "the death", and stede til hvile "to bury"

Han kilde sig til hvilikrøarne He hurried to the churchyard

#plug f [pluː]
a plough
Cf. (non-genuine) ON. plógr m, Faer. plóg(v) f, Scots pleuch, ploo; plug (in an Orkn. Norse verse)

#Plug-mann (Faer. plógmaður) ploughman; #plug-jarn (Faer. plógjarn, Scots plewairns) coulter; #plug-land (ON. plógs-land, Scots plewland) a) hist. a measure of land b) arable land, suitable for ploughing

#Pløga v [ˈpløːa] past pløgde
to plough
ON pløgja

Kjiro, kiro f [ˈkjiro, kiro]
the North Ronaldsay-sheep
H. Marwick says : “The sheep are known locally as keeros or keero sheep, and here again we have a Celtic word : cf Sc. Gaelic, ciora, a pet sheep; Irish caera, a sheep. Now, as this type of sheep is almost certainly the modern descendant of the primitive native sheep found in Orkney by the Norsemen on their first coming hither, and as there would appear no reason for adopting a Celtic word at a later period for this type alone, it is practically certain that keero must also be regarded as an early loan-word.”
The word’s development must have been as follows: ciora > kira (nom.), kiru (acc.) > kjiro.

Sestu! Tað er ena kjiro å stronden! Look! There’s a «keero» sheep on the beach!

Lun m [lun]
Marsh
Cf. Lunan (place-name). The word is Gaelic lòn marsh, morass. The Norse def. article –en proves that the word was borrowed when Norn was still the language of the islands.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next