NORN KJOKL

The Orkney & Shetland Norn Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Introduce Yourself
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:46 am 

OK, I think an appropriate start of this forum would be an introduction of its users.

[EDIT MODE]

Anyone up for it?

Post subject: Hrafn
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm 

Hej, my real name is Nikolai. I am a 20 year old dane who lived in Denmark all my life. Old norse is my greatest hobby, and later i will study lungustic and specialize in Old norse.

I am proud of my nordic heritage, and i think it is a shame that the people Orkney, Shetland and Caithness lost so much of theirs. I want to return some of it and by restoring one of the most important things, the language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:48 pm 

Hello,

I am a french norman born in Paris, and student in phonology.
I choose this nickname (Lundtrollinn) because of the presence of the norse root lund- in a lot of normandy's toponymes. So I imagine what would be a troll in a small "lundr" (to compare with Norway's big "skogar").

I'm really interested by all that stuff : old norse, recontruction of norn language, reconstruction of norse language in Normandy, and so on... but in a real and unicaly scientific way.

That's why I registered myself on this forum... To have some "news" about what is going on with nynorn, and norn.

What can I say more ?... I don't like stupidity of nationalism that we can meet in Normandy, in France, in Russia, and certainly every where on this planet (and maybe the others). I think (and some ethnologists think so) that this nationalism borns out from the loss of identity's symbols (to make shorter). That's why the reconstruction of culture is for me a way to eradicate human dangerous stupidity...

Ok, I speak certainly a bit more than I should be... Sorry. And sorry for my bad english. What to say ? I'm french ! It's normal.

Nice to be on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Salut Lundtrollin and welcome onboard!

Yes, nationalism often has negative and criminal manifestations. On the other hand, I believe that globalisation we all are facing today, when cultures are losing their uniqueness and historical traits is not much better. What we need here is some sort of a happy medium.

BTW, it's interesting to hear that someone's reconstructing the Norse language of Normandy. Feel free to tell us more about that (you can create a topic in Tingwall).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:11 am 

Merci beaucoup ! Smile

I have my own ideas about nationalism and globalisation... I think globalisation is not so bad... For example, I can speak with norn people and I learn some stuff from them. For me, it's a good thing for keeping culture. How to say that ? Globalisation is a kind of liberty. Some use that to loose culture (and we can understand that also), and some others don't. But I think that the word "nationalism" must not be used in a positive way, nowadays. So much negative facts are associated.
I mean for example : I don't care to live with people from other cultures... On the contrary, I like it. I learn much more from the others. After that, the loss of culture and identity depends on me, and only me. It's never good to see the devill everywhere... That's my way of thinking. The world cannot be as we want. But we can live as we want in this world, if we can adapt ourselves.

If I can speak about Normandy's norse reconstruction, that's all ok ! Very Happy
But I thought all has to be about norn only, doesn't it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 am 
Site Admin

Lundtrollinn wrote:
If I can speak about Normandy's norse reconstruction, that's all ok ! Very Happy
But I thought all has to be about norn only, doesn't it ?
This is a closely related topic, so you get permission! Wink In general, we are very interested to hear other people's experience of working with language revival as well as discuss topics that has to do with Old Norse. We already have threads on Pictish and Old Norse in other parts of the British Isles, so your eventual post won't be out of place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:43 am 

Hi all,

My name is Anderson Cunha, I am Brazilian, I have 36 years old, I'm not a linguist, my English is bad and my Nynorn is even worse.
I suppose that my nickname Sudmann means "southern man" in Nynorn.
Well... I want to learn the Nynorn.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:22 am 

Welcome Sudmann. I drop in here every so often as I am not a linguist but am trying the lessons on Norn. and then translating them into Runic text for a project I am working on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:58 am 

Hi, my real name is Tony. I'm Italian and 41 years old. I'm here with you because I share the common love in studying the ancient norn language and its roots. I studied at Naple's University of Languages. My favourite subject was German Philology. Right now I'm learning Norwegian (Bokmal), cause I think It's the right Nordic Language to talk to all Scandinavian people.
Congratulations for your site and I hope to enjoy it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:27 pm 

Hjerteligt velkommen til dig :b