NORN KJOKL

The Orkney & Shetland Norn Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:27 am 
Site Admin

It would be interesting to hear how our readers learned about Norn, was it an occasional look or there was some more profound reason behind your visit to our website and/or forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:38 am 

Hi,

I think I'll be the first. Let me introduce myself...
My name is Anderson Cunha, I am Brazilian, I'm not a linguist, my English is terrible and my Nynorn is worse.
I was searching the Germanic languages ​​on Wikipedia when I found the Norn. It was easy go from Norn to Nynorn and related sites.
Well... I want to learn the language.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to our forum, Sudmann! There will be some more lessons in Nynorn sooner or later, so watch this space. I also plan to open a subforum for chatting in Nynorn in the nearest future Wink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:00 pm 

Hi!
First of all, sorry for my English, I'm not a native. I got interested in Norn language as I am gonna study Scandinavistics at my university beginning in October. I had read a couple of times about your language on Wikipedia and to be honest, I'm a kind of language freak Wink

Personally, I'm occupied with the newprussian project - it's the revival of the Baltic Old Prussian language. I think we could exchange our experiences and our successes too. For instance, we have the first New Prussian native girl - she's about 4 now. And how's your project? Is there any complete dictionary of Norn? What about the new words, whom you couldnt find in language sources, like computer or sth like that?

Best regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Hello Prussian, welcome to our forum! I think those who are reviving Prussian and Norn are facing the same problems, namely poorness of written sources and necessity to take stuff from toponymy. But our project is not as far advanced as yours, we're much younger than you, just some 4-5 years old. So there's no native speakers yet, and the work on the dictionary still is going on.

As for new words, we either use existing words in Norn or Shetland&Orkney dialects of Scots or take them from Old Norse/Faroese/Norwegian/Icelandic/Danish and change them according to the phonetic rules of Norn. I believe you can use Nynorn for anything, even nuclear phycics provided that you've bothered to translate some dozens terms into Nynorn. F.ex. have a look at our translation of a wikipedia article about logarythms and explanations below how we created the words:

http://nornlanguage.x10.mx/index.php?txt/log

Now you can try to translate this text into New Prussian Wink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:07 am 

Hi! You're right, we had about 2000 old prussian words in our sources. Other words we take from local dialects, toponymics or if we have to, we take the word reconstruction based on baltic languages, german or polish. Our best linguist is dr. Letas Palmaitis, also knows as Mikkels Klussis. He was the one who started the reconstruction in middle 80'.

We also believe that any reconstructed language can be used for anything, so we started to create our own version of Wikipedia. Unfortunately, WikiMedia refused to have "normal" Wikipedia, so we create articles on our own server:
http://wikipedia.prusaspira.ez.lv/wiki/Galwas_p%C4%81usan

Some time ago I created also a short article about Norn:
http://wikipedia.prusaspira.ez.lv/wiki/Norn

I think I'll start to learn Norn when I start my studies of Norse. So it begins in October Smile

Could you say, how many ppl learn Norn? Is there in your country any interest about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Nobody is learning Norn, because it's a dead language, but someone might be learning Nynorn. We've just started working on the introductory course, only 5 lessons available so far (a few more are underway), so there's not so much to learn at the moment. But there's certainly people who are doing these lessons, although I believe they're no more than a dozen.

Nice to see the wiki page about Norn in New Prussian. We're developing a Nynorn wikipedia too:

http://nornlanguage.forumup.co.uk/about20-nornlanguage.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:05 am 

Hello and sorry for bumping this thread.

I became a member of this forum just recently and have read some of the posts so far and I enjoy it. Maybe I'll contribute with something later on.

I came upon your site when reading about norn in Wikipedia and followed the external links in the article. Then from there I saw your forum.

I have an interrest in languages generally, and especially germanic and romance languages. I also have a special love for extinct ones.
That is pretty much why I began to read about Norn in the first place.
I currently work a lot on gothic, or neogothic as it's called. The difference could be similar to Norn and Nynorn.

I live in Sweden where I'm born and raised. Hence my native language is Swedish, of course :)

I'm looking forward to learn more about norn and nynorn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:05 am 

Hello, I just blew in here on a random browse about the Scottish/Norwegian crossover. Found that there's not a lot of activity on the board and wanted to just say keep it up! Nynorn is an awesome idea and congrats for starting it.

My interest is in my Father's roots in the Isle of Man. Am learning Norwegian now as a hobby (pining for the fjords living down here in Australia), and having grown up partly in Edinburgh, being absolutely amazed by how much of Scots is derived from Norwegian. Words like Burn, Ken, Braw and Bairn are straight from Norwegian and still in the Norwegian language today. So much so that it seems that Scots is largely Norwegian-English. That led me to Doric and that led me to Norn.

Keep going with Nynorn and there will be Nynorn roadsigns in no time!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Will, and welcome on board!!
Yes, the farther north you move in Britain, the more Norse influences you see, which reach their peak in Shetland.
Thanks for your kind words about Nynorn, as for roadsigns - fingers crossed ;)